Get Your License Back After Your DUI Arrest
How do you get your license back after a DUI arrest in South Carolina? Hi, my name is Dale Savage and I’m a criminal defense attorney in Charleston, South Carolina and today I’m going to talk about the steps you can take to get your license back following your DUI arrest. In South Carolina, your driver’s license is suspended after a DUI arrest when police claim you refused the breath test or that you provided a breath sample greater than 0.15%.
However, you can challenge that suspension which will allow you to obtain a temporary alcohol restricted license if you follow these steps.
- File for an administrative hearing before the deadline which, is 30 days from the issuance of the notice if suspension.
- Pay $100 to the DMV for the issuance of a temporary alcohol restricted license.
- This temporary alcohol license is for non-commercial licenses only.
- If you are a SC licensed driver, you can get a TARL from any DMV office in the state.
- If you are an out of state licensed driver you must go to the DMV office in Columbia, SC to obtain a TARL.
If you fail to meet all of these conditions, then your only option will be to obtain a route restricted license.
30-Day Deadline – Don’t Wait
Time is your biggest issue in getting a TARL, if you wait for your DUI court date you will most likely miss the 30-day deadline, don’t do that. Take action as soon as you can to avoid losing this right. Challenging the license suspension not only allows you to obtain a TARL but it also provides the opportunity to contest the suspension and assert a number of legal challenges where if successful, your full driver’s license will be reinstated.
Charleston, SC DUI Lawyer
If you’d like help getting a temporary alcohol restricted license after your DUI arrest, call me at (843) 530-7813. I hope this video was helpful and thanks for watching.