Gun Crime Defenses in South Carolina – Part 2
This video is part 2 in a series regarding defenses to South Carolina’s Unlawful carrying a handgun law. Hi, my name is Dale Savage and I’m a criminal defense attorney here in Charleston, South Carolina and today I’m going to discuss defenses to the charge of UCP.
Exceptions 9 through 16
There are a total of 16 exceptions carved out by the legislature that are defenses to the crime if you fall under one of the limited criteria. Let’s go over the last eight.
- If traveling in a vehicle then the gun must be in the
- Closed glove compartment;
- Closed center console;
- Closed container secured by a fastener.
- If you have a valid CWP then: under a seat in vehicle, in any open or closed storage compartment in the vehicle’s passenger compartment, or on or about the person.
- An unloaded handgun in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to your home or place of business, or while in the process of moving changing one’s residence;
- Prison guard while engaged in official duties;
- A person granted a permit by SLED to carry the gun about your person under those conditions,
- Owner or person in legal possession of a business while at the business after acquiring a permit
- A person engaged in firearms related activities in a business which repairs, sells, conducts firearms training as part of their regular course of business unless the business has posted signs limiting to certain holders of permits;
- A person transferring a gun from or to a vehicle and a location where someone may legally possess a gun;
- Any person on a motorcycle when secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar container attached to the motorcycle.
- If you are in your home or on your real property or you have the permission of the homeowner or agent of that property.
It’s important that you are familiar with these conditions when defending the UCP statute so you don’t plead guilty when you may not have violated the statute .
Charleston, SC Gun Crimes Attorney
If you’d like help in your gun arrest call me at (843) 530-7813. I hope this video was helpful and thanks for watching.